Friday, July 11, 2008

Thunderstorms....



Have I ever mentioned just how much I absolutely love thunderstorms? Well, I do. I always have. They have always just really excited me. .... Except when I have to drive through them. We have been witnessing many many crazy thunderstorms out here in the desert for the past week. While we were driving back to New Mexico from Mesa, we drove through 4 severe thunderstorms. 4 thunderstorms in a 6 hour time span. I seriously thought I was gonna die. Let's just say I don't exactly like driving through them. I would much rather just watch them from inside of the garage. :) Then when we get to Las Cruces for a couple days there was nothing but thunderstorms that entire week. And when it rains in the desert...boy, does it RAIN. The morning before we left to drive back to Utah, Las Cruces was on a Flash Flood warning. Well to me, that sounded like no big deal. It rained all the time in Georgia, what was the big deal here? Ha, little did I know. It was raining all morning and we wanted to get out of the house by 8am. We got out by about 9:30 instead, only because the rain slowed us down. Dustin's family lives in a flood zone so whenever it rains like that....they have to watch it. There is an arroyo right outside his house to keep from all the flowing water to stream right down into his entire yard...however, the arroyo will only hold so much water. Once it gets too full it just starts flowing down his street!! So, his street literally looked like a flowing river!! So, we had to get out of there fast. It was so so crazy, I had never seen anything like it before! Kinda ironic? I am from Georgia...one of the rainiest places in the south--yet, never seen anything like that. Then of course we got to drive through even MORE rain the whole way up to utah--by the time we got to North New Mexico the rain finally stopped and we have seen clear skies since then, but man! That week was so crazy. Firstly, I have never seen New Mexico wet...and the next thing I know--Dustin's yard is filling up with huge water puddles! It was definitely a sight to see!I just thought this picture looked like a huge tornado from far away when it was really just rain so I had to take it! :)

3 comments:

Larysa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

I remember those types of storms when I lived in Arizona. They're amazing!

I'm glad you guys were able to make it out safely despite all the tempermental weather!

Unknown said...

I love thunderstorms too! I miss the ones that we had in Georgia. Utah never gets any storms unless it includes snow. BOOO.